Sunday, April 18, 2010

wax on, wane off?

Last night at around 9pm, I spotted the moon. The sun had recently set, the sky was a deep blue, and the crescent moon was absolutely gorgeous. It was around 270 degrees in azimuth, about 30 degrees in altitude. In this photo, it appears larger than it actually was, probably from the slight movement of my hands. In reality, it was a small, beautiful waxing crescent moon. Here is a picture of the moon last night:



In this picture I also captured Venus, about 10 degrees above the horizon and around 270 degrees in azimuth.

As the sun dipped further below the horizon and the stars became visible, I star-gazed for quite a while. Eventually I noticed a bright, faint light moving quickly across the sky. Later on I searched online to see if it was anything significant, but I couldn't find anything. I've narrowed it down to believing I saw a satellite. I'm not sure which one, but I'm hoping next time I'll be able to predict when a specific satellite will be out and to look for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment